Clapham Common is a large triangular urban park in Clapham, south London. Originally common land for the parishes of Battersea and Clapham, it was converted to parkland under the terms of the Metropolitan Commons Act 1878. It is 220acre of green space, with three ponds and a Victorian bandstand. It is overlooked by large Georgian and Victorian mansions, and nearby Clapham Old Town.Holy Trinity Clapham, an 18th-century Georgian church overlooking the park, is important in the history of the evangelical Clapham Sect. Half of the park is within the London Borough of Wandsworth and half within the London Borough of Lambeth.HistoryOriginally common land for the parishes of Battersea and Clapham; the land was drained in the 1760s, and fine houses were built around the common from the 1790s onwards, which became fashionable dwellings for wealthy business people in what was then a village detached from metropolitan London. Some were members of the Clapham Sect of evangelical reformers, including Lord Teignmouth and Henry Thornton, the banker and abolitionist.J. M. W. Turner painted “View on Clapham Common” between 1800-1805, showing that even though the common had been drained, it still remained “quite a wild place”.