Fisher Theatre History
The Fisher Theatre opened as a movie and vaudeville house on November 11, 1928. It featured Mexican-Indian art, banana trees, a goldfish pond and wandering macaws that audience members fed by hand.
Remodeled as a live theatre in 1961 under management of the Nederlander Theatrical Corporation, the Fisher is now adorned with marble, Indian rosewood and walnut paneling, and crystal and bronze decorative work. The original 3,500 seats were scaled down to 2,089 to ensure an intimate atmosphere and optimal sightlines.
Over the last 40 years, the Fisher Theatre has been a favorite venue of many of Broadway’s brightest stars, like Mary Martin, Carol Channing, Joel Grey, Bernadette Peters and Lynn Redgrave, and hosted the world premieres of HELLO DOLLY, FIDDLER ON THE ROOF, SWEET CHARITY and GOLDEN BOY.