In 1824, The Franklin Institute was established as the first professional organization of mechanical engineers and professional draftsmen in the United States. The Franklin Institute has survived for more than 175 years, finding ways to adapt, flourish, and create opportunities for expanding knowledge. Evolving over the years, but retaining a passion for exploration and discovery, the heart of the Institute’s mission remains public science and technology education – through interactive exhibits, theater-based programming, educational programs and outreach.
The Franklin Institute is composed of three centers of division, The Science Center, The Center for Innovation in Science Learning, and The Benjamin Franklin Center.
The Science Center is the flagship of The Franklin Institute. It develops, maintains, and presents exhibits and programs which inspire a passion for science and technology learning. The Science Center includes many interactive exhibits.