During the 1800’s and into the 20th century, Manayunk was known for the manufacture and sales of fine textiles. Krook’s Mill, now the Manayunk Brewery and Restaurant, was one of the linchpins of the then booming industry. Anne Dawson opened the mill in 1822 at the mouth of the Manayunk Canal and the Krook family followed with the existing building just short of 100 years later in 1912. A cornerstone from the original mill was placed in the new building. Krook’s Mill eventually closed its doors in 1992.
Four years later, Harry Renner IV brought the facility back to life as a space for retail business, a fine eatery, a brewery and as an entertainment complex for both neighbors and visitors alike to enjoy. Our first batch of fresh-brewed beer was tapped on October 17, 1996. In 2000, we expanded our outdoor seating with a deck overlooking the Schuylkill River. In 2003, we added a Stone Pizza Oven and a Sushi Bar to expand our menu selection. Today you can still find the scale, now an antique, that was once used to weigh the wool brought into the factory.