Moody Coliseum is an 8,998-seat multi-purpose arena in University Park, Texas. The arena opened in 1956. It is home to the Southern Methodist University Mustangs basketball team. It was also home to the Dallas Chaparrals and Texas Chaparrals of the American Basketball Association before they moved to San Antonio, Texas. It was also a temporary home for the San Antonio Spurs.
Moody Coliseum has been the home of SMU basketball since December 3, 1956, when the Mustangs defeated McMurry, 113-36. Moody has hosted Mustang Volleyball since the program's conception in 1996.
It was also home to the Dallas Mavericks on April 26, 1984 for Game 5 of their First Round series against the Seattle Supersonics, locally referred to as "Moody Madness". The Mavericks won the game in overtime by the score of 105-104.
The Coliseum has undergone several changes in the past few years to modernize the facility. In 1980-81, the newly remodeled E.O. (Doc) Hayes Memorial Dressing Room was opened. In 1984, a new scoreboard was installed over the center circle and new chairback seats were built at floor level on the north side. In 1985, more chairback seats were added, this time in the west end. The original wood floor of Moody Coliseum was replaced with a new wood surface and new lighting was installed in August 1986. In 1996, the court was redesigned to mark SMU's entry into one of the premier basketball leagues in America, the Western Athletic Conference.
Most recently, a brand new $1,000,000 jumbo-tron was installed in December 2006. In addition, in the summer of 2007, the hardwood court will be redesigned, with a new color scheme and midcourt logo for the Mustangs. Future renovations planned include removing the empty athletic department offices, widening the concourses, adding restrooms and concessions, and a general interior remodeling.
* When the building was opened in 1956, it was known simply as the SMU Coliseum. In 1965, the arena was renamed Moody Coliseum in memory of William Lewis Moody, Jr. of Galveston, Texas.
* The Coliseum is used for a myriad of events, including cheerleader, drill team, and basketball camps throughout the summer. Several concerts and other sporting events have been held at Moody Coliseum in recent years. In the spring of 1992, President George H. W. Bush addressed SMU's seniors during their graduation ceremony at Moody Coliseum.
* Moody Coliseum was the site of the Southwest Conference Post-Season Classic in 1976 and hosted NCAA Regional tournament games, the World Championship of Tennis Finals, the Virginia Slims of Dallas tennis championship, the Rolex National Indoor Intercollegiate Tennis Championships, the McDonald's High School All-American All-Star Game and the NABC College Basketball All-Star Game during the 1986 Final Four held in Dallas.
* The largest crowds ever at Moody Coliseum have been 10,276 vs. Texas A&M and 10,091 vs. University of Texas, both in 1979. Changes in the seating arrangement in recent years have reduced the seating capacity to 9,007 and as of the 1995-96 season, to 8,998.
* The Grateful Dead played Moody Coliseum on October 15, 1977.