The History of The Moore Theatre: Built in 1907, the Moore Theatre is the oldest remaining theatre in Seattle. The original owner, James A. Moore, was a flamboyant developer responsible for many of the early homes and structures in downtown Seattle and Capitol Hill. The first building on the regraded Second Avenue, the Moore created a general shift away from Pioneer Square as the central business district while firmly establishing Second Avenue as the “film/theatre district” for Seattle. Architect E.W. Houghton gave the theatre a simple exterior with Italian and Byzantine terra-cotta details, while focusing much of the visual beauty on an opulent interior. Hailed as one of the most beautiful and completely equipped playhouses in the United States, the Moore boasted a grand lobby with mosaic floors, marble, onyx, carved wood, stained glass, and metal. There was also a ceiling fresco in old rose, cream and gold. Beams were supported by Muses representing Drama and Music. The theatre interior was resplendent with clusters of lights, rich hangings, and stained-glass paneling.
More information can be found at http://www.themoore.com/about/moore.asp