In 1934, in the depth of the greatest depression in history, John D. Rockefeller Sr. completed his testimony to faith in New York City and the economy of America, Rockefeller Center. From that time Rockefeller Center would be the benchmark that all urban development is measured against. The crowning jewel of this magnificent project was the Rainbow Room on the sixty-fifth floor of Thirty Rockefeller Plaza, the tallest and most prominent building in the complex. The room was designed to symbolize all the glamour and elegance of New York nightlife. From its opening day the Rainbow Room has epitomized Manhattan luxury to both native New Yorkers and visitors from around the world.
Since its debut on October 3, 1934, the Rainbow Room has epitomized New York style, glamour and sophistication. The Rainbow Room was conceived as a formal supper club, an intimate establishment where the elite and influential of New York could gather to socialize over cocktails, dine on fine cuisine, dance to the strains of legendary big bands on a revolving floor bathed in color lights from the organ. In 1974 John D. Rockefeller's son David oversaw a painstaking twenty-five million dollar restoration and expansion of the Rainbow Room’s facilities, ushering in a new era of prominence for what many architects and designers consider to be the "most perfect room in New York"