The building was built in 1870 and opened as the Clarkson House. It became a notorious spot for vacationers to stop by and enjoy the beautiful view of the water. It is also known that for some time, the Hotel was a one-dollar hot/cold bathhouse, with a gentlemen’s only lounge. The Clarkson was a local favorite place to drink and socialize in Barrie. The business had a name change in the early 1980’s and remained under a different moniker until we re-opened as the Clarkson Pub on June 25th, 2012.
The pub has been completely updated, while maintaining the building’s history. Although things have changed greatly since The Clarkson House was first opened so many years ago, the pub continues its well-known tradition of excellent service, fine pub fare, and welcoming atmosphere. We are located at the busy intersection of Dunlop and Mulcaster Streets in downtown Barrie. We are a full service gastro pub, open seven days a week for lunch and dinner.
We have strong intentions on becoming one of the leading live entertainment venues north of Toronto, with an emphasis on promoting local acts as well as nationally renowned musicians. We are a licensed establishment with an interior capacity for 161 guests and an exterior capacity for 118 guests. We have two stages at the Clarkson, one inside in the West wing and one outside in our heated and enclosed patio as well as an in-house PA/Sound System.