Established in 1924, The Original Pantry has spent eight decades providing its customers with generous portions of traditional American cuisine. The restaurant started with 5 employees in a building at 9th and Figueroa St. It consisted of one room — a 15-stool counter, a grill and a hot plate. It wasn’t long before patrons were forming lines for seats. To offset the wait they were asked to place orders in advance. Presently, we do not take orders in the waiting line.
The Pantry survived the difficult years of the Depression and even managed to expand by adding a dining room in 1934. When World War II came in the forties, almost half of our boys joined the armed services. All but one had returned by the end of the war. In 1946, we expanded again to accomodate 60 people. Our family had grown to 46. As the business grew, so did the city, and our property was acquired by the state for a freeway ramp. So, in 1950 The Pantry moved into its present location at the corner of 9th and Figueroa streets. The day we moved lunch was served at the old location and dinner in the new, with no loss of customers.
Today, The Pantry is close to Staples Center and the L.A. Convention Center, Dodger Stadium and Dorothy Chandler Pavilion and is accessible from the 101, 110 and 10 Freeways. The Pantry’s facilities are available for events, and we will cater offsite as well. The restaurant is not available as a filming location but it has been featured in numerous films and television shows over the years.
More than just a casual eatery, The Pantry offers diners an atmosphere rich in character and history. An integral piece of Los Angeles culture, The Pantry has served many movie stars, politicians and other celebrities and continues to be a gathering spot for the city’s movers and shakers. As The Pantry’s current owner, former Los Angeles Mayor Richard Riordan likes to boast, “We never close. We’re never without a customer.”