The Theatre Centre
The Theatre Centre
Founded in 1979, The Theatre Centre is a non-profit organization dedicated to the development and creation of new performance.
Programs that make The Theatre Centre a unique hub for creation
1. RESIDENCY encourages the development of new theatrical ideas. It is a one or two year structured creation unit offering artists the resources of space, dramaturgy, design input, financial and administrative support. We support inherently theatrical ideas in the initial stages of development. We encourage projects that are led by directors, choreographers, performers and designers which require an active studio creation process in order to evolve.
The goals of residency are the following:
• To foster new work in a context that serves ideas requiring physical resources in order to develop.
• To investigate new types of dramaturgy through a structured unit of diverse artists. In other words, a guided formalized alternative to traditional play creation methods.
• To provide the space, support, guidance, time frame, networking facilities and flexibility that are indispensable to new work creation.
• To produce or support production of work that has been developed in the program.
For more information email firstname.lastname@example.org
2. SCRATCH is an itch to make art – music, performance, theatre, installation, dance. For two or three days the artist is given free reign of our space to explore the beginnings of an idea.
3. B.I.O.S. (previously BANG!) The Block in One Spot = A Queen West Art Party. 50 artists connected to the neighbourhood including gallery owners, visual artists, actors, dancers, musicians and performance artists are teamed up to create new works in a festive environment.
4. FREE FALL is an 11-day festival featuring the work of emerging and established interdisciplinary artists from across Canada. The Festival occurs once every two years. (Next in 2010)